Monday, January 4, 2010

Seperation Anxiety Redo


Way long ago (Okay, like 2 years ago), Miss B HATED leaving me. Every morning before Preschool she would cry. EVERY morning from Sept.-February until one day it just stopped. She never fought me about going to school, it was just an "I'm going to miss you" meltdown. I was told back then that the minute she walked into school she dried her tears and was Happy B. I truly believed that. Kindergarten came and went with not a single problem. Well, except for the day when "Mean, Smelly Nolan" LIED about her talking in the hallway & then gave her a parking ticket so she ended up with her name on the stop sign and didn't get her daily sticker. "BUT HE LIED MOM I WASN'T CHATTY! I'VE BEEN CHATTY THOSE OTHER TIMES BUT I WAS NOT CHATTY TODAY!!!" That was the only dilemma last year. This year, first grade has been a piece of cake. She is doing fab, has a BFF, everyone loves her, her teacher is great...I'm in the classroom a lot as a homeroom mother...I could go on forever with all the reasons of why this year is so good. Until yesterday. Yesterday we hit a speed bump while driving 60MPH. Yesterday she uttered the dreaded statement, "Mom, I think I'm going to miss you too much when I go to school." Dreaded because those exact words brought a lot of greif two years ago. I knew we were in deep shit again. By bedtime she was crying & hyperventilating last night. She spent so much time on winter break with me that she now hates to leave me. I love my sweet B to pieces. I'd keep her in my pocket if I could so seeing her so upset crushes me. She fell asleep on my lap last night & I prayed this morning she would have cried it out & somehow she'd be ok.

No such luck.

I took one look at her & she started crying. She cryed up until we left the house then cried on her way to school. I wrote Tracy (her teacher) a note explaining the situation only to realize Tracy wasn't teaching today. She was running her kids to doctors appts so the comfort zone of her warm & fuzzy teacher with 4 kids under age 8 at home went out the window. B did ok. Made it home & told me several times that she missed me & loved me with a big smile. I *hoped* we were ok.

Thought I'd pad the deck and made her favorite dinner, favorite snack, we then headed for the couch to read books & cuddle. Inching towards bedtime she started crying all over again. Gut wrenching, can't breath kind of tears. "But I'm going to miss you..."

UGH. I felt SO bad today, all day that I couldn't wait to pick her up. I am used to her being happy and when she's not my instinct is to scoop her up and hold her til its fixed. This is not one of those things I can do that with. Tomorrow she'll get up & maybe she'll be ok but probably not. Either way, we have to go to school and go thru the motions until she forgets that its a problem. Until she is so distracted that she forgets to miss me so terribly. I pray that happens soon. In the meantime we're reverting back to preschool things that helped. She wears my necklace because she has to give it back so I have to pick her up soon. I'm going to send Tracy an email in a minute to let her know what is happening. I can troubleshoot a bit but this will need to kind of fix itself. In the meantime I'll be spending my school hours counting down to the pick up time because as much as B misses me, when she's struggling, I miss her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment