Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Remember that day 2 weeks ago when I talked to my mother AND Suz emailed me all within hours? Well, there was one other twilight zone experience within those 48 hours. Let me go back...




My friend Leila & I met about 15 years ago & were really close for about 12 years. She dated this guy Tom the entire time & he was nice. Weird, but nice. Finally about 4 years ago she was taking their camcorder somewhere & found a tape already in it. She looked to see what it was & lo & behold...

Tom was videotaping neighborhood little girls- from behind their living room curtains.



He actually admitted to being some sort of predator (inactive one of course) & she shoved him into therapy. He is apparently the only pedophille on the planet that has been cured after a year of therapy & so he quit. I knew they spoke, but they lived apart & to my knowledge there was no longer a romantic thing happening.



Until...she called about 3 years ago to tell me they had set a date. A wedding date.



John & I thought, holy shit...crazy?...Desperate?...Gullible?...All of the above?... I did the math and realized that I was due with Emmy about 2 weeks before this fiasco. What kind of wedding would a pedophille have? A theme wedding of course. Princess Bride to be exact.



That was the point where I really backed off. It had been made very clear up until that point that she was welcome in our house, he was not. I wanted him nowhere near Maya & I had no desire to see him anyway. Then the engagement really threw me. I was glad she/they lived 90 minutes away because spur of the moment stuff couldn't really ever happen. Planning was key & I was never available. I stopped calling her period so any contact was initiated by her. A few months after theengagement she found out she was pregnant. I bit my tongue nearly off not to yell at her, "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING???".



What she was doing was marrying him that July & having his child, a daughter the following November.



I didn't want to know anything at all. Didn't want her kid around mine while wondering what is really going on, etc. Is that negligant of me? Maybe so. I guess with anyone else it'd be different but I felt like there was nothing that I could say to get thru to her. When her daughter was about 6 months old I couldn't stuff it any more & I asked point blank, "Don't you worry about her around Tom? How could you NOT ever worry?..." At the time it went right over & he was fine, doing well, etc. No worries. I thought she was in blatant denial.



Last time I saw her B was maybe a month old so it was nearly 2 years ago. She brought her daughter to visit alone & it had been forever at that point. I'd never seen Maeve until that day. Since then, John & I split & got back together, moved, etc. She & Tom went thru some crap, are in couples therapy & moved out of state.



She lives in Maryland now & was heading up to her sisters wedding in Maine so she called when she arrived here. Her family is still here in NE Pennsylvania so she was staying a few days before everyone drove up to Maine. She called & I figured sure, it has been years, stop in. She & Maeve arrived at maybe 6pm & were here until midnite. She said to me after about an hour, "Remember that question you asked me awhile back?" & I knew what she meant. She thanked me for having the balls to say something because she felt like she knew I was one person she could spill to. In the last year the blinders finally fell off & while she moved with him it was because the divorce laws are better in MD. They own a house but she is also now renting an apartment with out his knowledge. Once it's functional she & Maeve are out. She has been keeping the baby away from him not because she thinks anything has occured but because the mother protective instinct is in full swing. She has also been copying his encrypted or PW protected files because she believes they are loaded with stuff & intends to turn whatever she finds over to the police.



What do you say to all of that? I was thinking, thank god. THANK GOD.



But man, how does one become so desperate & have such non-existant self esteem that a pedophille looks like husband & daddy material???

No comments:

Post a Comment