
Yesterday we made 5 dozen cupcakes. 5 dozen. Valentine's Day Funfetti with white or pink frosting, heart candies, pink, red & purple sprinkles, matching M&M's, Hershey's Kisses. Each one was a wee little masterpiece. Em frosted & decorated each & every one for her class, herself. I helped B do hers & they were PERFECT. We also did 3 trays of chocolate covered pretzels. After everything was done I figured school would be cancelled. We got a call last night revising the entire schedule. They were supposed to be off at 11am today, now they went to school at 10 & are there all day. Two 11am dismissals will happen next week to make up for parent confrences that were cancelled in the snow. GREAT! No school tomorrow, none Monday & they are now out at 11 on Thursday & Friday. This makes the third consecutive week of pretend school.

Anyway, so the kids slept late this morning & we left early. We walk the two blocks because I'd end up needing to park at my house anyway with the morning drop off rush. So out we go. Emmy has two trays of cupcakes in a big bag with a nice handle. Perfect fit & I have her school bag over my shoulder. Em's mission, carry your cupcakes & stay upright. I have Br's cupcakes in one hand, am holding her hand in my other & off we go. One block down...two blocks...we got about 8 inches of snow but its all snow except for slushy intersections. No ice which is good. We get to the school yard & it's a slushy mess everywhere. I don't know what the deal is because last year it used to be much cleaner, plowed & salted. This year its always an early morning mess. I see 3 moms wipe out as we are heading for the gate.
"Don't fall Em, just don't fall!" She keeps saying she won't & I figure she's going down. I have a hold on everything but her.
As we're walking into the playground again (as I see someone else go) "Don't fall Emmy be careful."
Then I felt it- you know that slomo feeling you get as you know you are falling & nothing can save you?
Yeah, redhead down. Cupcakes fly out of my arms & go bouncing. Thank god I taped the containers shut.
B screams, "MOM! MY CUPCAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Me? I'm flipping over containers while laughing my head off. The cupcakes are all conjoined. Sprinkles, M&M's, kisses everywhere. Stuck to the wrappers. Stuck to the lid. Everywhere. I walk into the school to bring them to Tracey's room still laughing. Actually laughing & crying simultaneously. I show her them & she looks and goes, "OHMYGOD! Look at how much work went into them?!" I tried to reposition them. Pointless attempt if you ask me.

I came home, made more pretzels & returned with them before 11. I tell the office chick what happened & she says, "You fell?? I missed it???" Yes, she is a total bust ass. She carried the pretzels across the hall to Tracey's room, opens the door & says (no lie), "BRI! Look what mommy didn't drop!!" Loves the staff.
I leave the school still laughing, hit the corner & who is heading for me? That's right.
Crushdriver
I'll fill you in on that later on!







As Scott says - it's still ice, and its slippery.......
ReplyDelete