Sunday, December 12, 2010

"It's A Small World After All..."

When I was a kid there was a particular radio station that everyone listened to at night. It was a newer station & the playlist was a bit riskier (I remember them loving Samantha Fox and there was a song called "Boom Boom" by a gay porn star but anyway...). The 10pm countdown is ground into my early teen memories just as much as jelly bracelets & huge bows in my hair . The night DJ of course became part of daily life for me & all of my friends. Funny how that happens when you're a kid isn't it? Hear a voice daily & you feel like you *know* someone. Anyway, I'm seriously going back 25 years here. There was a popular skating rink, like the last of a dying breed back then.

There had been a rink 5 minutes from our house (Skateaway) that closed when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade & OH the memories from that place. We went every weekend when it was truly roller disco!  Loved it so much & then for a few years skating was out the window until this other rink opened. Further away but IT WAS SKATING.

The night DJ was there on the weekends too.

I don't know that I ever talked to him, truly I don't. He was cute, a little bit older than us but not by much at all. I loved that building & pretty much everything & everyone in it. Lots of great teen memories came from the little building in Kingston.



Fastforward another ten years & I'm a journalist, unattatched & covering local stuff. DJ is still DJing locally. I swear he has been on EVERY station. Uses the same name, I'd hear it & think, "Ah, he works___here now!"  and he has a good, friendly radio voice so it still IS like an old friend. Weird how that still happens!  Anyway, I'm covering something or other or had to be at a work function & he is there.  Cleans up well, has grown into his skin and was friendly as ever.

I'd expect that. Media is media. Radio, journalism, whatever. It means you know HOW to talk to people. Especially strangers.  We are always like a new best friend because frankly, we need info when working & being a douchebag doesn't get us anywhere.

So he was talking to everyone. I was talking to others.  Said goodbye as I was later leaving, gave me a huge hug and that was that.  Saw him a few more times while out after I was married & it was always an I-remember-you kind of thing.

So the other day on Facebook he pops up as a friend suggestion. I clicked the PLUS 1 and thought nothing of it. He added me & sent me a message

One message has turned into about 35 messages since the start of the weekend.

So much in common it's ridiculous.  He was saying stuff & has a lot of the same views that I do. Either there's a bit of curiosity/interest or else he'll be my new gay boyfriend.  Just not sure yet. I **think** he's trying to figure me out and there is a definite click of some sort.

Makes me want to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment