Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Random Acts

Every week Alicia posts a new topic for the Group Blogging Experience and bunches of people take the topic and run with it. This week it's about Random Acts of Kindness.

I think when you are generally a kind person, doing the little things that make a difference come naturally. Is it memorable when being aware of the needs of others is a way of life? Do you remember every nice thing you've done, every way that you've extended yourself to a complete stranger? I know that I do things all the time and I never think anything of it because it is simply, what I do.

On the flip side, I'm always very surprised when someone goes out of their way for me or surprises me with a bit of kindness. This past year or so I've been more aware of little gestures and kindnesses directed towards me or the kids. Just this morning I was out for my run & had stopped to catch my breath. I was the typical puffing runner regrouping to begin again and a little old lady was walking down the street towards me. She asked if I was ok. Of course I was fine, but that she thought to check was sweet.

Last winter while doing school runs there were a few really BAD days where I had to toss the kids onto the bus to get them home. Not a big deal to me at all. It's a 5 minute wait 2 blocks from the school, we'd wait 5 minutes to change buses in town and then get dropped nearly at our doorstep. It is not a big deal to me. Some would look at it and think OMG, it's snowy, it's cold. I just kept thinking thank god there was no waiting time & it was a really fast transition. What I found was that bus drivers are ridiculously kind to women juggling three bubbly yet respectful girls. I rarely had to pay, ended up with extra transfers just in case and bonded with a few dads with girls my kids ages. In this scenario the one day I was not taking that bus home but the driver later told me that he pulled over and "waited, just in case" we were late. Simple, simple gesture but it meant a lot. When the kids were going thru their various graduation ceremonies in June my sister, the girls & I were walking to the car. It was B's graduation, everyone was dressed, along came the bus with it's usual driver. He actually stopped, opened the door & congratulated B.

Silly little things, but they are memorable. They can change the entire course of your day. It shows that you really do exist. You're here, people notice and in that moment for whatever reason, you matter.

I'll bet everyone has some simple things stored that they've carried with them forever. What is the nicest thing someone has done for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment