Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Want To Believe: Subtitled What The Hell Is THIS Mess??

Here I am. I am going to actually sit here & write something. Really. Maybe I shoul;d start with now & go backwards. I saw The X-Files movie last night with J. If you didn't see it and intend to I cannot vent without spoilers so be warned.

Oh my hell. What an absolutely shiteous film. I am a fan of the show. I started watching arou nd season three and saw it right to the end, then last winter we revisted X-Files & rented every single season on DVD for the warm & fuzzy feeling the show gives. The writing was consistently excellent. The stories & concepts were unreal and everything always tied together. You might have to wait two seasons but every loose end was always revisited in a satisfying way. Loved it. Love it still.

I perfect6ed reading reviews of the movie without getting any storyline. I wanted to walk in clueless and form my own opinion. I wanted to not know what would happen next. I knew the reviews were not great & it has tanked financially but I figured I'd love it anyway. Same cast, same creators, same writers & producers. These people KNOW the backstory & they KNOW the characters.

Holy fuck. Holy fucking hell. TV episodes that I thought were "eh" were better than that shit I saw. It made me very sad after I finished being pissed off because after all, we waited 8 years for this. For THIS? this was the best lame plot & script that these previous geniuses could come up with? They should have left well enough alone then.

I admit I was worried because by the end of the series nearly every character was killed off. Every bad guy, every extra agent, poof- bang- dead. We were left with Scully, Molder & their awesome boss, Skinner.





Skinner made an appearance for all of 5 minutes! He was vital to the series & 5 minutes of screentime was an insult to the character & the actor, Mitch Peleggi. Instead there was this revolving roster of agents and other people that I could careless about. Agent whatsherface played badly by Amanda Peet bit it & my only regret was that they let her partner continue running bad lines for the rest of the movie. Why the hell they cast Xhibit in that part is way far beyond me. Perhaps they were taking a cue from SVU but shit man, Ice-T and Ludacris can actually act.

X-Files, it's all about the paranormal. Doesn't everyone know that even if they've never seen a minute? Sure, right? This story had NOTHING to do with the paranormal. Instead it was a pediphile priest having "visions" of where dead bodies might be. Just one alien. Please, can we unbury just one beneath the snow?? Please? What the hell? sex crimes, Frankensteins lab Vs. stem Cell research was what we got instead.

Not one single possibility of an abduction. Zilch.

When I think of all the directions they could have gone in with government conspiracy theories I could cry. The show folded BEFORE 9-11. Possibilities for plot advancement were EVERYWHERE. I thought J was liking it and then the final credits popped up. I looked over & he was making the face that is usually saved for tasting sour milk. We both were bitching before even opening the theatre door to get out into the hallway.

So disappointing.

The beach in a nutshell was a great break in spite of bizarre weather. Riptide consitions were present & for the first time ever the ocean really felt like a massive force to me. It was stronger & faster than usual leaving me a bit paranoid about the kids. I logged lots of boardwalk miles and spent major time on the balcony breathing in the air. I kind of liked to see it dark & moody looking. Figures huh? It was just different & we all know how much I like different.

We took the kids to the Rainforest Cafe which they loved as usual. That was my first encounter with a Jersey guy that shocked me. Our waiter heavily favored me, okay he pretty much only addressed me. But he kept standing to the left of my chair, he'd put his hand on the back of my chair & by the time we hit dessert I was getting a mini massage every few minutes. There J sat across from me, seemingly unaware.

The second instance was at eden Gourmet in the mall on the boardwalk. We all walked in & the place is awesome, fresh brewed coffee, gelato, organic stuff, Italian products, bakery...We get in the door & the manager looks at me and says we all need smoothies, meaning the girls I thought. So he starts mixing up mini strawberry smoothies for them and eventually me. He starts chatting & is a runner. He saw me looking at sports drinks, etc. J was like, ten feet away engrossed in pesto in jars. The guy actually told me what time he'd be off work and told me to come back if I'd be "available". He was actually very cute, around my age & the kind of guy I'd go for if single. I was joking with Kiki that I'd see how my day went and decide later.

My last night there I went back to the mall intending to get pictures from the upper deck over the water. I'm on the phone with Kiki when I hear an alarm, one exactly like the alarm from last years trip.

A fire emergency has been reported in the building. Find the nearest exit while we investigate.

Mass exodus on the run, LOL



Definite pattern forming here!

Okay, more catch up in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment