Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another of those "firsts"

Emmy's very first softball practice was today.  She loves to play & decided to join a league this year. As luck would have it, she is already friends with 5 of the 11 girls on her team.  We walked over to the fields this afternoon & my poor girl was SO nervous. She kept gripping my hand as we walked, telling me, "I'm so so so so wanna die nervous."  Em will get like that but at the last minute she always takes that big leap & usually has fun.  I've talked to her coach a few times & I knew he was nice. We got to the fields & three coaches were working with them today. She spent a little over an hour batting, chasing balls & catching a few here and there.  We left exactly the way I figured we would- with her anxious to go back.  One more practice until opening day.

As Em played the rest of us were popsicles. It was 52 frigid degrees thanks to wicked wind & sprinkling rain. I seriously needed coffee & a Suggie & I will remember that if next week doesn't warm up!

Another good weekend here. I remember a few years ago thinking that my bad mommy years would be elementary school. By bad mommy I mean my most uncomfortable years. Its funny how you go from chasing toddlers to helping with homework & it feels so overwhelming.  I thought having kids that could answer back, that I needed to explain myself to would make this whole motherhood thing BEYOND hard for me.  I remember missing the baby years & thinking nothing would ever be as fun.

Shock.

I love this 1st, 2nd, 4th grade thing. LOVE it. The homeroom mother thing...the posse of little girls...watching these little kids that I've known for years now growing...

The crazy schedule.  Trying to cram in work-work-school-my school-homework galore-and then all the extras.  This insanity is priceless and precious in a whacked kind of way.  Some days I'm shocked the way things actually work out. This weekend included 2 birthday parties, roller skating, shopping yesterday,  softball today and somehow the house is clean, 6 loads of laundry are done and put away, dinner was a huge home cooked meal, everything is ready for tomorrow...

I'm amazed.

B had fun today at the park. She brought her Alex doll and was picking blowies.



No comments:

Post a Comment